It’s a useful question to ask, and many of us hit occasions when we do just that – on the last day of your life, what do you regret?
A palliative care nurse recently compiled a list of the top 5 things the dying stated they regretted. These might not surprise you:
1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me
2. I wish I hadn’t worked so hard
3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier
You could check how much this list fits with your everyday concerns, and whether key ones in this list are not actually attended to by you on a day to day basis. In other words, what’s really missing?
The thing is we don’t come up with “I wish I had done that trip to some special part of the world, or had this or that experience, or made my fortune and retired happily ever after, or had this or that lifestyle”. It’s the really fundamental things, those that strike at the core of our being, who we are.
Where you feel the power of the emotion of that thought.
This is really key. Depending on what you believe, there are many traditions that say we go through some kind of life review at the end of our lives. This question brings us up face to face with what we’ve really been doing or not doing with our lives. And there can be something unfinished, incomplete, not resolved.
There may be an aspect to this that we may of course come to learn to accept. Letting go of regrets and forgiving others can be part of the journey of personal and spiritual growth.
However there are others that we may well have choice over in other ways. Yet we continue to plough our furrow and not deal with them. We deflect ourselves away from making contact with these fundamental things within us, and thus live life on the dimmer switch. We deny our own life force. It can be almost perverse.
Yet we do have choice. As humans we do have free will. Will you choose life?
So, here’s where you can make your choice. Use the up-coming workshop next Saturday to explore for yourself:
1. How I might choose to starting living a life where I am true to myself
2. How I might make changes in my work that meet my real life goals
3. How I might be more authentic
4. How I might be more connected to others
5. How I might bring lasting happiness into my life
You can book here: click here.